Friday, July 15, 2011

Wisdom of Disney

There's this book I keep seeing in bookstores and heard from friends that I've never read. It's called the Tao of Pooh. I was never interested because it sounds too philosophical for my taste and maybe because Pooh was never one of my favorite of the Disney films. However, even in today's day and age of amazing computer animated accomplishments like Toy Story and Shrek, I do at times feel nostalgic for the classic Disney films that I grew up with. They were less sophisticated for sure, but I liked that in each they hid mini lessons about life in their stories much like classic legends and in the Aesop's tales I used to read. On the surface, they were all about princesses and finding true love, but as I am older and able to see the bigger picture, I'm more appreciative of the other issues that are communicated in the songs and scenes as I watch them again. If anything, there is a lot of wisdom between those animated cells. This is what makes them timeless across all generations. Some of my favorites (and the lessons I think they inspire):

Cinderella: Hard work always pays off in the end, and you will be rewarded for it.



The Little Mermaid: Be accepting of other cultures and people instead of being close minded and prejudiced



Aladdin: Be confident of your self worth and recognize that it is independent from monetary wealth
Beauty and the Beast: Look beyond appearances and make your own judgements


Lion King: We can achieve great things by looking within ourselves and by listening to the wisdom of our elders

Dumbo: Don't underestimate those who are different from you, they may have strengths and talents you lack
 Peter Pan: It's important to have imagination and a playful side even after you grow up
  Snow White: You can find friends in unexpected places and enemies in those close to you

Pinocchio: To get what you want, you need to prove that you are worthy and deserving

Lady and the Tramp: Higher class and education does not necessarily equal superiority, street smarts is important too

 Mulan: Courage lives in us all. Family gives us our strength.



Alice in Wonderland: Don't do drugs, ha ha


And speaking of drugs, if you have seen Dumbo, that pink elephants segment is one of the most twisted psychadelic trips in Disney's films. I have never noticed how many surrealstic influences are in that one song. It's actually not that surprising after all to learn that the Surrealist artist Dali and Disney collaborated several times. You can definitely see overlap of images such as the eyeball and pyramids! Weird! (There are tons of other info about hidden messages and controversial topics in Disney films, quite fascinating actually)


What was your favorite Disney film while you were growing up? Is it still your favorite as an adult?

1 comment:

Anna Rice said...

Don't do drugs! HA HA that's hilarious I love this post. I love the simple meanings behind these films too. Dumbo just makes me tear up thinking about it. I love him. It was one of my Mom's favorite movies.